Get the facts on herbal supplements
Herbal supplements provide you with an alternative to pharmaceutical drugs when it comes to promoting wellness and health. Scientific research indicates that, for certain conditions, natural health supplements can be very effective remedies, and many of them have few or no side effects.
Natural nutritional supplements can be used to treat specific maladies as well as to maintain good overall health. However, since stringent standards are not in place to ensure manufacturers are providing a safe, high-quality product, it's important that you, as a consumer, know how to tell good herbal supplements from inferior ones.
Popular Herbal Supplements
Some of the most popular all natural supplements include:
- Aloe vera. The juice of the aloe vera plant has been used for centuries to treat a range of ailments, including minor cuts and burns, itching skin and bacterial infections. There is also growing evidence that suggests it is a very effective natural remedy for chronic skin conditions such as eczema and psoriasis.
- Ginger root. Primarily used as a digestive aid and anti-nausea treatment, ginger root can also lower your "bad cholesterol" levels and help you bring down high blood pressure.
- Gingko biloba. With powerful antioxidants, biloba helps your body rid itself of toxins. It is also widely believed that this herbal supplement improves memory, concentration and mental alertness.
- Ginseng. This well-known herb has been used for centuries to boost energy levels.
- Milk thistle. One of the most powerful natural antioxidants, milk thistle is thought to protect and detoxify the liver. Some studies suggest it may even be able to reverse liver damage that's already occurred. Milk thistlealso appears to have some anti-inflammatory properties.
Natural Nutritional Supplements: Distinguishing Quality from Inferiority
One thing you need to know about natural supplements is how to read a product label. From the label, you can determine the form of the active ingredients, the amount of active ingredient each pill or capsule contains and the recommended daily dosage. Also, you should research the various herbal dietary supplement companies to ensure good manufacturing practice (GMP) compliance. Finally, it is better to select brands that are subject to independent testing and analysis to ensure their quality.